Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It's in the spec, man...

Lesson #1: Know your technology specs.

You know, there is just no replacement for knowing your specs. And I mean, really knowing them.

I remember reading Stroustrup's book on C++ about 10 years ago. It's not a great book, but it was the most approachable C++ language specification as there was. I didn't find it particularly well organized or helpful - and unless you had a pretty decent foundation of the language already, it was pretty much useless. (YMMV - please no hate mail from Bjarne-fanboys, I'm just setting up my next point).

Java specifications are quite accessable. I'm talking the Java language spec, J2EE spec, and whatever technology de jour you are confounded by. I have a friend and co-worker who lives and dies by "the spec" - and he knows his stuff much deeper than most because of it.

The Java EE Specs for 5.0
(On a side note, looks like Sun has moved away from the "2" in J2EE.)

Let the specification be your go-to-guy. He'll rarely let you down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home